Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A donation worth making...

Some of you will remember this story I shared almost two years ago...grab a box of tissues and read it again. (Nella Cordelia - A birth story)

It's a powerful message. I've followed Kelle's blog for years now and you know what? I've learned a lot...about myself, about life, about how much we take for granted when our children aren't faced with extra difficulty. I've also learned that I sometimes say things without thinking - things that have the ability to hurt, even when it's not your intention. Example? I use the word retard. Quite a bit. Growing up, my siblings and I used the word enough to cause confusion when it came to remembering our actual names. It was just a word - we never thought too much about it. Even now, when I do something stupid, like turn around and run straight into a wall (don't ask)...I can be found muttering, "F*ck, now that was retarded."

Guess what? I'm going to stop using that word. Reflecting on it now, I don't think it made me a bad person; my intent was never to hurt or ridicule those who have Down Syndrome. To those I may have hurt in the past, I'm sorry beyond measure. But now? I know more now...knowledge grants us access to becoming a better person. Nothing is ever just a word. Words carry weight. In using that word, I'm propagating hurt and sadness, and I don't want to be part of causing someone that kind of pain. I don't want my children growing up thinking the use of the word retard is acceptable. I'm stopping it right here, right now.

So I ask you now, if you are in a position to do so, make a donation to the National Down Syndrome Society. On Kelle's blog, click on the “2 for 2” right under the header or on the sidebar. Their goal is to raise $200,000 to honour Nella's 2nd birthday...with just under a week left, they have $40,000 left to go. Think of a small fee you could give up for this week - make your coffee instead of buying one, carpool instead of cab, watch the news instead of buying the paper, eat Kraft dinner vs. ordering take-out….every little bit counts. And for those who can do it, think of doubling your contribution to honour those who can’t quite afford to at the moment. From time to time, we all need a helping hand.

All I know is this: Kelle, Nella & co. have taught me a whole lot about living life with joy, finding peace and indescribable beauty when life turns out a little differently than you expected and spreading light and goodness wherever you go. I ask you to donate to this cause so that one day, the world will embrace every single beautiful soul and not diminish anyone’s light because of their differences. Do it for Nella. Do it for your kids. Do it for you. xo

3 comments:

Wynter said...

Once again...thanks for speaking to my heart. Growing up there were many words we used to jokingly bash each other-that were not right. We all do it, but that doesnt make it ok. Thanks for the reminder of just how sensitive we need to be and feel. :)

Daniele said...

So glad we "reconnected" and that you started your blog! Can't wait to read!! =)

Janita said...

Thanks Wynter - you're right! So many of us grew up that way. We need to remind ourselves that sometimes, it's not just a word.

Welcome Daniele! So glad to see your smiling face again...xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...