Friday, April 21, 2017

Drive Away Hunger...

In our quest to help our children understand that with great blessings comes great responsibility, we talked to them about how to support our community to help make the world a little bit brighter. We asked them where they wanted to help out, and Isla mentioned the Food Bank.

I was so proud of her, and I called the local Food Bank to see if we could stop in this afternoon and drop off some food. I’ve been there before to help sort food, however I wasn’t sure if kids would be allowed. Well, they went out of their way to set up something special, just for us! We learned that up to 10,000 people right in here in Regina use the Food Bank every month, and half of those are children. The kids were so proud to be part of that, and proud that they donated 50 pounds worth of food to give a hand up to those who need it. 

On a side note, while packing up the groceries to donate last night, I was telling the kids that in life, there are two positions you can be in – you can find yourself in a position where you can give, or conversely, in a position where you need someone’s help. I told them to remember what side they are on, and to never forget the responsibility that comes with that. I told them I want them to grow up in a world where the line up to help is always longer than the line up of those in need. There were a few moments of silence, and I was thinking, “Damn. That was good…so profound. I think it’s sinking in.”

Then Isla broke the silence, turned to James and said: “Tomorrow we are going to watch poor people eat.”

My work here is not yet done.

#ReginaFoodBank #GiveAHandUp #FCCDriveAwayHunger
 Thank you, doll...you have an incredibly big heart.
The world could use more of you.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...